Learning towards play!
DOTS is an augmented reality(AR) education resource that takes school children on a virtual tour through connecting the dots and teaches them about three dimensional objects like cubes, prisms, cylinders and spheres. DOTS turns a two-dimensional shape into a geometry for 3D. Students not only learns about the relationship between surface area and volume but also explores ratios and proportions by augmenting screenshots and selfie photos.
It’s no secret that tests and textbooks might not be the best way to teach a class of energetic students. Educators are on the hunt for a better method. My intention to create DOTS is to teach math out of the classroom and empower students to take learning into their own hands. My research showed that the students get more engaged to learning by AR bringing to life difficult-to-explain subjects in a visual and easy to understand format. For the first version, I began by testing the simplest of dots and lines in the space. In the future, I will improve the drawing tool to let students drawing straight lines and add effects when lines connect dots.
UI / UX Design
HOME & MENU PAGE
1. Choose pyramid, cube, or cylinder.
2. See the instruction page to be familiar with the drawing tool.
1. Press the Draw button to start drawing.
2. Tap camera icon to take screenshot whenever you want.
3. You can always redraw again by tapping the reset button.
1. Take a screen and click next
2. Share the cool AR image with your friend.
No shadow or 3D effect on drawing tool
Trigger effect test: when drawing tool touch virtual cube, the confetti shows up.